PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 10:36
discountinvestigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am well aware that modern engines do not usually "blow up" and detach themselves from wings. However, the accident is well beyond design case. The design case is for engine seizing, bird strikes and general turbulence/manoeuvring. A winglet ingestion is well beyond the bird strike case. It is likely that the engine internals would disintegrate if the winglet were to enter.

The main reason for engines falling off would be massive yaw rates. The 757 over Germany seemed to suffer from this. As you may be aware, the yaw rate criteria are significantly less than in other dimensions. The engines have detached and relatively cleanly, which indicates the design break off manner. I know that throwing winglets into engines is not part of the certification of the aircraft, and with the kinetic energy impacts being discussed, it is a possibility, and that is all.

I was looking at possible geometry of encounters which could lead to the damage seen on the surviving aircraft. It is not unusual in mid-air collisions to get some angle of bank involved at the last moment for head on encounters. Hence the damage could be representative of a collision of winglet with engine.

What has caused all the inspection panels to blow out from the port wing and not the starboard? That, in itself, may indicate a wing encounter rather than engine. However, I would need more photographs.

Does anybody know if the NGs can survive detachment of a single engine or is the roll moment too large for the control authority?