PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AusFIC - Could THIS be the beginning of the demise of???
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 04:27
jumpuFOKKERjump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope that tickets are avbl to watch ATC cope with HF and FIS and Seperation coz its going to be a piss funny show!
Well contact the Public Relations Manager at your neighborhood ATCC (provided you neighborhood is Melbourne or Brisbane) and come along for a laff. Only two rings of the circus are available though, ATC do separation & FIS but not HF. ICAO (bless 'em) frown on ATC playing with HF.

Even if the HF does move into the centres I doubt ATC will be manning the consoles. The BN FIS consoles have large control panels in addition to the woeful standard voice switching panel ATS & FIS use which are not compatible with the visual displays ATC need. I have worked Flight Service with VHF only, HF only & consoles with both, and have worked ATC both procedural & radar. If somebody can make my ATC position more efficient by moving VFR crap/briefing/traffic out of my radio coverage so I can concentrate on where the jets are then they need to be there.