PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AusFIC - Could THIS be the beginning of the demise of???
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 04:17
Shitsu_Tonka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FSO Griff,
Fair scenario you paint. But the ATC's, pilots and FSO's are not the ones pushing for this position. Worth remembering this when we start attacking each other over past fights with the company over EBA's etc.
Remember, this is being driven by the shiny bums to make more profit for our sole shareholder - the ones who get driven around in the white cars.(Have topically heard this referred to [by those more erudite than myself] as another round of the 'Latham Shuffle'; i.e. Dance of the Conga Line of Suckholes)
In the context of everyone is overpromising to make their masters happy but underdelivering because they don't appreciate the operational realities, or more importantly responsibilites that exist.
Having seen sectors absolutely saturated at times of the day where they have to work at optimum to acquit their existing responsibilities (often on a skeleton roster because of the 'real' staffing levels) I can see that placing the important AUSFIC responsibilites on top of this means that it simply cannot be done. No matter how much one spins the 'work smarter' line, that is simply uninformed rhetoric.
Australian ATC already work beyond the worlds best practice recommended maximum times for safe operations. How much further is this suppose to stretch? Who is going to be responsible when the inevitable happens? Will the shiny bums cry mea culpa? I don't think so.
Copied below is a posting from another website showing the actual numbers that are referred to in one of the previous posts:
You will recall the campaign about Air Traffic Controller numbers and salaries during previous CA negotiations.
So what are the numbers?
The recent Staff Survey revealed some interesting numbers on total staffing [Document not shown due copyright - but shows 1026]
Annual Report 2005 stats:

According to this Airservices commissioned survey and annual report, there are 493 out of a total of 1026 Air Traffic Controllers (including 51 Trainees).
1026? Hmmm. What would the break up of those controllers be do you think?
Only 1026 Operational Controllers out of a staff of 3028 would in itself alone probably surprise those stakeholders we hear so much about. They would probably question what, technical support aside, those other 2/3rds of the total staffing are up to - but of course there are Firies, TFDC, TGO, FIO etc.
But.... I wonder about those 1026 to start with. *
How many are actually operational controllers?
Well, it got me thinking about doing a real survey. I know how many people actually hold an operational line down on my roster, and I am sure you all know the same about your group. *So I have compiled a list of all the groups I can think of below (I will have missed quite a few of course, so help me fill in the gaps).
So, reply to this thread below and tell me how many controllers actually hold an operational line from your group.
I guess this also calls in to question what an operational position is - and that is something you can debate here I guess. *My suggestion would be some that has to keep a traffic separation rating current to fulfill their roster over the course of the year. What do you think?
-------------------------------------------------------
Groups:
Brisbane Centre
MORETON (37)
BYRON (22)
FRASER (22)
TOPS (39)
OUTBACK (20)
REEF (19)
OCEAN (21)
HUNTER (25)
MACQUARIE (15)
CAIRNS TCU (22)
-------------------
Melbourne Centre (correct me on these please)
TULLA (32)
BASS (30)
CANBERRA (23)[Amended:]
WEST PROC & RADAR (43)
BAROSSA ( 16 )
BIGHT ( 16 )
DESERT (27)
CENTRAL (36) ?!
ADELAIDE TCU (19)[Amended:]
PERTH TCU (21)
------------------
SYDNEY APP/DEP (59)
------------------
Towers
CAIRNS ( 18 )
MACKAY (7)
HAMILTON ISLAND (3)
ROCKHAMPTON (8)[Amended:]
MAROOCHYDORE (6)
BRISBANE TWR (25)
ARCHERFELD (10)
GOLD COAST (11)
TAMWORTH (12)
COFFS HARBOUR (4)
SYDNEY TWR (40)
BANKSTOWN/CAMDEN (15)
CANBERRA (14)
ALBURY (5)
MELBOURNE TWR (27)
ESSENDON (10)
MOORABIN (11)
ADELAIDE (20)
PARAFIELD (12)
ALICE SPRINGS (5)
PERTH TWR (19)
JANDAKOT (12)
HOBART (8)
LAUNCESTON (5)
T O T A L *S O *F A R - (871) (Assuming I can add up)

Last edited by Shitsu_Tonka; 2nd Oct 2006 at 05:42.