PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wall Street Journal reports on BA 747 3 engine LAX-MAN flight
Old 1st Oct 2006, 23:09
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Khaosai

I didn't cover this live at all. To make it clear again, I am not employed by CNN, but I help them out especially on live events and background information.

To be sure, I have considered how I might have handled it on live TV.

I certainly would have mentioned that 4 engine planes are allowed to continue to destination with one shut down...I would even point out that takeoff alternates are different for 4 engine planes than 2 engine planes.

I would have asked the following, to help the viewer put things into perspective.

Would it be better for British Airways public relations to have a small article on page 17 of the Los Angeles Times saying:

yesterday, after a minor engine malfunction on one of 4 engines, a BA 747-400 made an uneventful return to LAX. The crew was praised by the passengers who were accomadated on a later flight.

or would it be better to have the story told so many times and finally make the FRONT PAGE of the Wall Street Journal?

I would try to put it in some form for a ground person to understand the world of flight. I would indicate that the following was an imperfect analogy, but all I could think of at the time...

imagine driving a car across the loneliest road in America, US 50 between ELY NEVADA and Fallon, Nevada. You start your journey in ELY with a properly serviced car...2 miles out of ELY the car appears to only be working at 75% of its potential, do you turn around and drive back to ELY and get it fixed, even though you will be late, and you may have to wait for parts, or do you push on across the Nevada desert for some 300 miles, knowing you will make it somehow to the next town. And do you call the people who serviced the car and ask their opinion. (I've driven this road)

Now again, I have stated this is an imperfect analogy, but trying to speak in aeronautical terms to ground laypersons can be tough.

I have never said what they did was illegal, though the catchall in some parts of regulations might go against them depending on the judge, the jury and the day.