PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2006, 18:17
HyFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corrections

Read the thread, and just wanted to correct a few wrong images.

Legacy (the new verion) with the A1E engines can carry full fuel and 8 pax.
This Legacy version (same as in accident) can also climb from MTOW direct to FL390.

As aircraft was ferrying back to US (New York) it probably didn't need to take off from Sao Jose with full fuel, as it would have to do a re-fuel along the way anyway, (max range with full fuel and 8 pax is 3,250nm (at M0.74) or just a little over, subject to final completion weight and cruise speed.--MTOW take off, at up to 37C as engines have a high flat rating) and if crew were so keen on best cruise, then judging fuel load, with only 7 pax aboard , would have probably given them capability of getting the FL410 (the ceiling for this aircraft) fairly quickly. However, as I don't know the refueling airport I can't judge this. Likely cruise speed (and we can wait to get the actual data) would be around M0.78/M0.79....

Loved the line comparing a Legacy with a Lear 45.....like comparing a Bentley with a mini cooper !

Find it very hard to believe that any pro pilot who'd turned off TCAS to climb to non approved FL, would then admit to such in public, after causing a mid-air......let's wait for the FDR to tell this little tale......

The Legacy winglet is composite, with a small metal bracket, the tail section is however more substantial, but it only seems a fairly small section was lost.

I had friends on that Legacy, and am only glad to learn they are safe. It is however, so terribly sad that so many perished on the 737. Lets just hope that the search finds some alive eventually......