PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comair CRJ crash in Kentucky
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2006, 18:09
discountinvestigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Numbers

you do not cross the numbers 26 when you enter runway 26 because most pilots would follow the lead off line only. you get close to the numbers when you follow straight across to the closed A7 to be taxiway.

In the dark, with the red flashing lights ahead of you and the none too bright CRJ lights, you would be pushed to notice them. As you look towards the "numbers" then you also get light in your eyes from airport car parks, roads etc.

There are no lead on lines for Runway 22 either, in case you were wondering.

There were several elements which could have stopped the crash after the throttles were pushed forward for the last time. All of these must be investigated by NTSB. However, the throttles were pushed when the crew had convinced themselves (probably with internal confirmation bias) that they were on the correct runway. The red signs about runway numbers are slightly confusing at the intersection, and with the CRJ light patterns you would be too focused on centerline to have that external a view of the periferal signs.

You do get the runway lights for 22, but again even wider periferal vision. Remember that you will see the reduced intensity side filters, not the straight ahead high intensity light when you cross runway 22.

The aircraft crossed two primary runway side stripes. Did the crew know about runway markings? The crew also crossed an aiming point white block. Same comment.

The aircraft passed by a 2000 and 1000 foot to go marker boards. Again, very periferal stuff and not lit by the aircraft lights to any extent.

The crew now have absolutely no chance. The end of the runway comes up, with the profile of the runway and a big white spot is the 8 on centerline. Run at that at 130+ knots and you would not get the nose gear off.

Drag of the gear on the grass?

How much damage did the security fence do?

If I was convinced that I was on the right runway at the point of throttle push, might I have detected it. Yes. But that is because I spend all day looking at runways and accidents. Would I expect an "average" regional jet pilot to detect the difference. Actually, no. Especially as the charts were non-compliant with international standards and give no information about runway markings at all.

As for the terminology, well, the best that we do at the moment is associated with "events in the accident sequence". We let the lawyers work out which were the more important in terms of liability. In terms of responsibility, well that is laid down in the individual Safety Management System of each airport operator and integrated with the ATC service provide and aircraft operator. (well it should be...)