PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF - the 'junior' service?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2006, 15:40
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
So, with 14000 fewer people we operate 70 vessels and 200 combat aircraft
Well, of those 70 vessels, how many include various Haddock protection vessels to guard against the advances of those dastardly Icelandic types, how many are engaged in mapping and colouring in all the blue bits and how many are on current ops in multiple theatres?

And where are you getting your 200 combat aircraft ? Your Harriers are our old ac and whilst you do have a few Hawks knocking about the place, I would hardly describe the Jet Streams as combat types. And yes you do have helos, but aren't most of them still in bits on the hangar floor somewhere, with the ones in Basrah on their last legs and being held together by Duck Tape and rust with the drivers complaining they haven't seen a single Russian sub since 1978?

We could go round and round in ever decreasing circles with this one, but personally, I think for once we should get together and show true jointery and reach a gentlemens' agreement:

We'll agree that the Navy, whilst being fine old gentlemen are starting to smell a bit in their old age and require constant help from the nursing staff, that the Army are the irritating parents - disliked by both the kids and the grandparents constantly trotting out the argument 'because I said so' whenever anbody dares to disagree, and that the RAF are the young upstarts heading towards the ASBOs and court appearance but ultimately the future. And that we all hate the bloody politicians and bean counters

Oh and yes, I do twirl my moustache in a Terry Thomas style, although I could never quite get the drawling 'hello' off as well as he did.