PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2006, 10:23
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.. in principle I am not opposed to offsets, as long as everyone uses the same offset i.e. Right of track .5nm etc (1nm nominal displacement opposite direction)!
…. In reality it is all dependent on navigational accuracy of any two conflict pairs which in the end might be no lateral displacement at all!
.. what does concern me though is aircrews relying on the chances of MAC being reduced and thus a relaxation of vigilance and/or adherence!
Which is the greater ill? …. I’ll leave that to the mathematicians!
H D touched on something that is niggling me..
.. notwithstanding the early reports of ‘lost from radar’ (which could mean the B738 failed to appear within radar coverage at the expected time which may have been some time after the MAC) can anyone confirm if there is reliable SSR and/or PRIM coverage at FL300 +.. at the point of conflict?
.. if yes (and again, if what has been reported as surviving crew testimony is accurate):-
- presumably something would have been said by ATC when the SSR was lost!?, or
- the aircrew notified ATC TXPDR U/S??, or
- it was switched off shortly before the MAC?!?!
.. if no:-
.. would that lack of radar have been known to the Brazilian Embraer Pilot?
... someone earlier mentioned Comm's issues in this area ..... here's is a hypothetical:-
…. If the Embraer had been assigned FL350 (due conflicting traffic) … reached that level and reported .. got no response from ATC (ATC may not have received the level report) …. How long before the crew would follow no radio procedures and proceed to their planned level??? … I wonder what the planned level was???
… quite frankly, I find it unbelievable that a level change (even in remote areas) would be initiated without ATC knowledge or approval ... particularly without the TXPDR for TCAS!
General comments (hopefully unrelated):-
900+ KTS Closing speed ….. christ .. a large aircraft would look like bug **** on the window right up until it was way to late to do anything … and that’s assuming it was even seen before the bang!
Please Folks … if you lose ATC comm's ...use the ATC freq and 121.5 ... make a general broadcast before changing levels/track!
.......don’t gamble ‘other’ peoples lives by taking a punt on the ‘Big Sky Theory’ …. !!

Last edited by Scurvy.D.Dog; 1st Oct 2006 at 11:42. Reason: to add the radar and other ponderings