PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type rating - Embraer 120/145/170/190?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2006, 02:52
hpcock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-LOST

The country where I work is 99% populated by 737's (NG's),777's, 747's & A319/20/21/30/40's - There is however, one EMB operator - on the verge of going bust - whose pilots are not being so readily taken onto the 737's etc.. due to the '"Lack of commonality & cost incurred in re - training them to that standard." This was mentioned to me at a small meeting of chief pilots from various airlines, inc the CP of the EMB airline, who subsequently used to work for EMB as a test pilot. In his opinion, "Nice machine to fly, good to look at, but comes with a label." I asked him what he meant by that, and he went on to say that from his own, and EMB's research, they seemed to find that most of their pilots were not being offered work with other carriers, using the more common equipment, due to the abovementioned reasons.

A few years ago, I used to share an office with the Chief Examiner for Embraer. It was he who told me the very same words that you chose to shoot down - "You tend to get pidgeonholled as one of them."

Whilst I'm glad that you have moved up the Aviation ladder, & are doing well for yourself, there have been, & still are others in your position who are suffering due to the stigma laid down by the industry - not themselves.

Judging by the previous posts - 45,000 Euros for an E135/145 TR!! Even with today's very favourable exchange rate of 1.49 Euros to the GBP, you're still talking about GBP30,200. Now call me daft if you will, but I do think that sort of money to be finally endorsed with a "regional" in your licence is a wee bit expensive. I think for those prices today. you could probably rate yourself on a 777!!

I do hope this readresses my previous "Nonsensical Coment"

HPC