PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging The Flare
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2006, 22:55
geo7863

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew gliders in the military (sports not combat, im not that old) and had difficulty landing, either plonking her down too early and rather hard or landing loooooooooong.

I was learning to fly a three axis ultralight (czech TL-96) and had the same problems.. I finally did my PPL on Zlins and found they just about landed themselves, with over 300 landings (i'm still a sprog) and only three or four which have made me wince... my instructors taught me to choose an aim point and watch that, then when I can judge about a metre up (severe ground rush at that height) switch my line of sight to the horizon and start the flare with progressive back movement of the stick till its on its back stop, by which time I'm on the ground and slowing down

However I have recently been type rated for the C172 and find I'm landing loooooooong again and ballooning in the flare, even with 40 degrees of flaps, in the Zlin I use under half the strip in the Cessna i'm well over half, which makes touch and goes rather hairy at times (specially with that poxy electric flaps switch which tends to close the flaps totally on me)

I guess as everyone says its practice practice practice.... but I'd rather fly the Zlins to tell the truth, the Cessna handles like a transit van compared to the zlins

I