PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL conversion from EFT
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2006, 22:39
Uncle Ginsters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beags,
Without turning this into an 'us and them' scenario, i do beg to differ.
I was not implying that PPL flyers are the lowest common denominator, but referring to the fact the the techniques must cater for the lowest common denominator amongst PPL students, which, from my knowledge is lower than anything that i've seen in the full-time teaching of EFT (not UAS!). Of course, i'm sure that would not include anyone lucky enough to benefit from your teachings. But there are others out there.....

I think that you'll find the new (or rejuvenated) EFT system somewhat different from your days on the 'dog with a UAS. We are teaching full-time students on a consolidated course. If we don't teach something, it's not because we can't be arsed, but because it has been deemed superfluous the the requirements of basic VFR Nav in a SEP, and leads on to the techniques required to fly other aircraft downstream.

The PPL clearly has some other aims including, as you say, the students' desire to go off solo in the minimum weather just because he can. That still doesn't necessarily make it sensible if said pilot hasn't the required experience to deal with those conditions, even if he can work out his ETA beforehand on a Dalton Computer.

Uncle G

Last edited by Uncle Ginsters; 30th Sep 2006 at 22:56.