PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wall Street Journal reports on BA 747 3 engine LAX-MAN flight
Old 30th Sep 2006, 21:55
overstress

PPRuNe Person

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To overstress, USA=good , UK = not good, is simply not the way I feel. Elsewhere on this forum I have praised the 2 UK built planes that I flew, the contribution of people from the UK of such things as RADAR and the gas turbine engine.
Thanks for your clarification, but may I be forgiven for that interpretation after your
gain even 10 percent of the some 60,000 ATP's in America
quote.

I have worked with pilots from the USA and we're fundamentally exactly the same.

What we pilots in the UK react badly to is any unnecessary (in our eyes) self-promotion. We demur. We apologise over the R/T to ATC when we have an engine surge or fire.

However, we raise our collective eyebrows when those we deem unqualified see fit to comment on the way we do things. This is not because we think we're superior, it's because we know we are, but we just don't want or like to tell you

So that is why you're getting the reaction you are, especially from BA 747 pilots. To us, your opinions hold little or no relevance, but when you make comments we perceive to be attacking our position, especially in the public battleground of PPRuNe, we splutter into our mugs of tea and say "I say, that's not on". Then we will tenaciously defend ourselves to the hilt.

I hope this helps!

PS: We are given little commercial guidance in BA. Flight continuation policy is there because we have 747s and they are built to do it, if you have a commercial capability, why not use it? The whole point of a 747 is that it has 4 engines, not 3, not 2, not 1. 4. Any idea of the built-in redundancy? It's fabulous. If you haven't done a conversion I can recommend a very good chap in LAX who can help you! Then you will understand how frustrated some of us feel about these criticisms. Does a transaltantic sailor worry if he loses the spinnaker? No, he just unfurls the headsail and carries on a little slower. He can always get the kite repaired when he gets to his home port, but it would take longer to stop at the nearest port and get it fixed than to sail on without it. Is the headsail going to let him down as well? Probably not. Is his decision unsafe? No. Is dumping 60T of gas if you don't have to good for the wine crop in the Napa Valley? No.

All the above is TIC and IMHO

Last edited by overstress; 30th Sep 2006 at 22:10.