PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2006, 21:53
nicholasblonde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M2P, a CV refers to a "curriculum vitae," which is essentially a european word for a resume--albeit some might argue that a CV contains a lengthier history of a candidate, wheras a resume is slightly more condensed.

Sadly, the 2 remaining US operators of bae 146 aircraft will have withdrawn them from service by the time your hubby would be able to build any time on them in the us, otherwise I might suggest he get on with one of those regional carriers and build hours on that type, still in wide usage in euro fleets. Maybe he could get on with a foreign operator of said aircraft: check out http://www.smiliner.com/operators/operators.shtml

Also, might I suggest that if your hubby really really really wants to work in europe...I mean, really really badly, you might check out the following routes:

1) Flight instruct in the US, build hours, work for a regional carrier, eventually get 1000 pic turbine time, then try to get on with jetblue or southwest, flying airbuses or 737s, respectively. Eventually get 500 hours on type, in command, at one of those carriers. Then ryanair or easyjet might sponsor a work permit for him. Of course, by that time he would be earning substantial amounts of money in the US at US tax rates, and you could buy a vacation flat in Nice in 2 year just off of the tax savings from working in the US.

2) Both of you guys go get nursing degrees...there are several colleges in the US where they have intensive 2 year certification programmes. With a nursuing certification (something globally in high demand)...you go work for the nurse-strapped NHS in the UK. Nurses can essentially work any hours of the night, and can often block schedule their hours into 3 days on 3 days off, etc. It shouldn't be that hard to get a work permit as a nurse...I think you could work 1 year on a work permit, then apply for permanent residency...at that point, hubby flight instructs, flies night freight, air taxi, etc...after 5 years of this, you guys can apply for citizenship...then, he'll have hours, and you'll both have citizenship....apps out to the airlines, and you've got your dream job....

So tell him he can either languish in a forgotten dream, or take the necessary steps and dig the heels in and make it happen. Having lived in the US and the UK, I think there is a certain cultural difference: americans have big dreams and grand ideas, and talk a lot about things they could do...brits seem to appreciate action more than ideas. You might have run into that on this forum.

tell your hubby that midwestern redneck adage--"get er done!!!"