PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 43 Air School (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2006, 20:40
EtAF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KQ stopped sending their abinitios to the ET school because it's fairly inefficient i.e. they train at their own pace, very expensive
When did KQ stop sending their cadets? I know couple of years ago they were still sending. With many ET pilots being pouched by the middle eastern airlines (esp. Emirates), they are now doing recruiting more than once a year and the AF has agreed to supply more intructors. They are not accepting foreign cadets that much anymore. Currently, the only foreign cadets are from an African country through intergovernmental cooperation.

inefficient?

depends on your own interpretation of the word "inefficient".

they are not profit minded commercial operation. Unlike other schools, their only goal is to produce competent pilots. If efficiency is measured by how many pilots you churn out, they are definitely inefficient compared with other schools.

and most of the abinitios who came back had problems online with KQ instructors when it came to landings until it turned out that during their twin training the instructor always landed the plane for fear of letting the student damage the prized twin.
Whether you are referring to Single engine landing or only ME is not clear. I will adress them separately.

Single engine
After 22 month of training and 250 hours of flying (of which 110 hours of solo flying!!!!!!!), claiming someone can't land a plane is ridiculous. I know they give a leeway to foreign cadets but not much. If someone can't solo within 20 hours (MAX), they are thrown out of the school. Proper landing is required prior to going solo and the check out pilot is not going to sign-off unless the student knows how to land. The attrition rate is extremely high. That has gotten the ET's corporate management and the flying schools management at loggerheads many times.

Mulit-Engine
They only have two twins for training. I don't know much about the training on the twins but the hours given are small compared with single engine. I will make sure to check it out and will get back to you.