PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots who went on strike let go by PHI
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2006, 13:54
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
Ah, but we are not talking about 200,000 USD salaries here.....more like 5,000,000 USD in retroactive pay back to the renewal date on the CBA. That is a far cry from the pie in the sky numbers. A small amount of money in reality and a huge amount of EGO for one individual.

I agree pilots are their own worse enemy when it comes to pay and benefits....but here is a group of pilots that are willing to stand up. It is a crying shame the other half of the group did not have the brains to see how they benefit from those that stand up.

Air Log's pilots demonstrated what happens when you have a solidarity number in the high 90's come time to walk.

The PHI showdown amounts to a gamble by both sides in light of the divided union membership. Right now, the gamble is going to be won by how long the working pilots can go without time off. Can PHI recruit, hire, train, and deploy enough qualified pilots before the current working pilots burn out.

Safety problems are going to crop up before long....hopefully the FAA is monitoring this very closely.

I do wonder if the Oil Companies will now decide the minimum hour and experience requirements they demand for pilots will remain in place.

Since the oil companies view safety (or the lack of...) as being a risk versus cost concept.....I will wager they start cutting those minimums to assist PHI keep the aircraft going.

Historical high profits and the oil companies will still refuse to spend the extra money by demanding PHI settle.....is my forecast. They do not want to see any Unions show up at their workplace either.