PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF ATC Officer
Thread: RAF ATC Officer
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2006, 10:08
Wee Jock McPlop

Bra,

Tend to agree with much of the above. I've done both. Enjoyed many years in the RAF, before joining NATS. The RAF still offers you plenty of challenging and exciting (not just being shot at) things to do. The chances are there to do many things you will never get a chance to do do in civvy street. However, the level of b......t and nif naf & trivia associated with being in the RAF has grown significantly over the years. That was one of the many reasons I chose to leave whilst I still had a smile on my face.

Civvy air traffic offers you relative stability and you are indeed well rewarded in comparison. The transition from mil to civil ATC is indeed protracted and painful (particularly financially). That may in time become less of an issue - I hope. However, I tend to slightly disagree with my mil chums on one point. Civil ATC may not have fast pointy things returning to the airfield short of fuel or with an emergency - or indeed both. However, it does have enough trouser-filling moments to keep the pulse rate up!

Both careers are challenging and rewarding in their own right. Do a few visits to some mil and civil units and form your own impression.

WJMcP

Last edited by Wee Jock McPlop; 1st Oct 2006 at 10:15.