PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Warming: Electric/Hydrogen airplanes feasable?
Old 30th Sep 2006, 09:08
TSR22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Rainboe!

I knew you would ask for proof! A government document was released about 2 weeks ago indicating that the pollutant (CO2) levels have risen drastically in the last decade (showing an almost exponential rise) - unfortunately, I cant put my hand on the document right now..
I know that there are a lot of men (and some girls!) with beards, sandals and little bits of spittle in the corner of their mouths who proclaim doom, but there IS a lot of compelling evidence published every month in respectable journals such as Nature or New Scientist (the latter being a bit more popular but less "hard" science). I tend to read a lot of these things (mainly because the medical stuff is so boring that I normally have to read!) and then discard the articles so I can't quote anything directly. There have, however, been some very hard hitting documents published recently and the governments of the world have started to sit up and listen. Jut look at the weather changes that we are seeing.. (I know that there is natural variation in this anyway - just observe the difference in winter temperatures from those of the 1940s).
I think that one of the other major problems is that CO2 and other pollutants such as lead tetra-ethyl, chloroflourocarbons etc are often long lasting and will continue to cause huge problems for hundreds of years to come. One fact I do have, is that if the Great Western ice sheet collapses, then the world sea level will rise in the order of 4.3 metres..(I got that from a "popular science" book but it is well researched and worth reading: "A short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson - it's quite funny too in places! )
I'm not a green campaigner by any stretch of the imagination but I am quite concerned about the long term future of life as we know it. I do like walking though!!
I looked at your profile - 747s eh! Only in my wildest dreams (and if the money doesn't run out!!!!)

Last edited by TSR22; 30th Sep 2006 at 09:10. Reason: Cos I'm stupid and never get it right the first time!