PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in the Maldive Islands?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2006, 08:23
Jerry Springer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don’t get this, why is there an apparent a perception among non-seaplane pilots that the Maldives gig is job for low time, inexperienced jockeys?
i ve only the ATPL Frozen with 250 hrs? ahahaah
anyway I decide to sent some cv to the aerotaxi fly in the maldive island but i can't find the address. somebody know some links…

Use Google. It will quickly throw up two operators…But with 250 hours what do you think you have to offer to an operators in the Maldives over the worlds numerous high time seaplane pilots?
I was sent a flight crew minimums sheet and was surprised to see just how high they were. they wanted a lot of float time, and probably more twotter float time than most here have total if i remember correctly !
Again, I don’t get this… given they operate twin otters on floats why it is surprising that they want a lot of twin otter float time? Sounds perfectly logical to me, I mean what else would they want?
Wouldn't mind doing that for a year or so
Seaplane flying a specialized facet of aviation, it is not something the Maldivian pilots are just tinkering around with for a year or so.
The worlds insurance companies won’t cover you to operate a twin turbine seaplane in rough water and ocean swells, even in the right hand seat, unless you have considerable prior seaplane experience, or pay a huge premium. Why would a company wish to pay that premium for you when they can hire an experienced pilot? (One reason would be if you are Maldivian)
If most of your flying has been off big flat solid runways, whose surface is not constantly changing, then quite naturally the Maldivian operators will toss your application in the bin, possibly after much laugter.
If you want to get a job in the Maldives, get a seaplane rating and start applying to single engine, piston seaplane operators. Build up some hours, then more onto a turbine seaplane. When you have a couple of thousand hours and a similar number of water landings, then send your resume to the Maldives. You will find that that is what almost all of the pilots there have done.
Good luck!