PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the differences between flying a helicopter and an airplane?
Old 30th Sep 2006, 00:04
ConwayB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discrimination against RW drivers

RW drivers who had tried to apply to the airlines to fly planks often came up against signficant discrimination, even though some of the helo drivers came from full IFR aircraft and had many more instrument hours than their FW competitors.

The local airline had a stipulation that only 50% of RW hours of prospective applicants would be counted!

In my experience, a RW driver, either on the stick him/herself or as captain of a crew, has a much higher workload than his/her FW counterparts; more decision making requirements, more situational awareness requirements and a constant need to monitor the aircraft and its flightpath.

When I fly FW, it's a breeze. Trim it out and then you can relax and navigate and program GPSs/read the map, look at the view, do your fuel calcs, etc, etc without having to worry about the aircraft's attitude.

When I fly RW, it's a matter of organising your cockpit so your stuff is accessible with one hand and secured so it doesn't fly out the open doors and as many calculations are done before even getting near the aircraft so you have more 'brainspace' to do your thing; keeping the spinning side near the blue side and the greasy side near the green/brown side.

'CAN'T HOVER? DON'T BOTHER!'

Safe flying all.
Conway