PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 29th Sep 2006, 13:17
Farty Flaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=ekwhistleblower;2877978]There are good trainers and bad trainers but by definition most are average. Its the same with line pilots most of us are average. The DEC training programme is ludicrous but thats not the average trainers fault.

Emirates is the first airline that I have worked for that a lot of guys seem to blame the trainers for their own shortcomings. Most other places, guys seem to have the humility to look at their own act first before they start trying to look for scape goats and excuses.[/QUOTE

Re your second paragraph,first sentence.

Do you think that could possibly have anything to do with the elitism that your selection process engenders in people who have passed but have a possibly less than spectacular performance in a previous "tame " outfit. ,ie being checked by their mates. I refer to regions/companies where everyone has "capt" on their title from ppl onwards. As recently as 2000 ek was a place to aspire to. As the standards seem to have dropped according to these boards, why hasnt the elitism associated with the selection dropped accordingly. This could be the problem. Inexperienced ( read ,only jet time on antiquated boeing in effectively unregulated region paying lip service to icao) person gets thru interview for whatever reason, meets a system that is more than name only( see previous brackets) , doesnt do well ,expects a command in three, and blames the system. They may also extend thier anger to DECS who MAY have a wealth of experince globally. This doesnt exempt dec form the same syndrome though. To the person who has been calling themselves captain since they were a teenager, loves the kudos associated with getting into ek, flying a modern longhaul jet,(unnavailable to them before recently with the drop in hrs and types) and being the ace of the base , a bit of criticism could be devastating.
Just wondering. I call it " person with mickey mouse background playing the system and getting p1ssed off when the system catches up" syndrome. I feel sorry for the chaps with impeccable provenances being shafted, but not those whose experience backgrounds wouldnt pass a proper check, or even an investigation by dog the bounty hunter. References are easy if your former chief pilot is your brother in law or similar
Flame on.
PS I have passed before we go down that slaggin off road.