PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS question
Thread: TCAS question
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2006, 10:48
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bookworm
I would strongly support the idea that aircraft currently equipped with Mode A/C SSR should not have to re-equip until the Mode A/C unit breaks (or ADS-B over 1090ES is adopted). For now, Mode A/C is fine in the numbers that it's currently used.
I agree whole heartedly and think the CAA has wound up taking a good idea and generating a great deal of negative momentum. Given the relatively slow proposed rollout of Mode S ground stations, the head long rush to drive more expense into GA seems unreasonable. Something more along the lines of:

1 - Encourage all airspace users who can (i.e. have generators) to install or upgrade to at least Mode C (because it makes everyone's life easier and this is probably the majority of the aircraft flying on any given day)

2 - Regulate to require any replacement transponder to be Mode S (as Bookworm said the cost difference between a new Mode C and new Mode S isn't worth getting worked up about. (possibly allow the installation of used Mode C units as replacements or new fit in currently un-equipped aircraft)

3 - Acknowledge that there is currently no practical option for aircraft without generators and stop trying to legislate a product development into existence!

4 - Most important - given all of the value that ATC, CAT, the military, the government (UAVs for the police etc) and the Treasury (through auctioning off the released spectrum from less primary radar to the mobile phone operators) will get from Mode S - give something back to GA for spending their money - like traffic data. In the US they got half the fleet over to Mode S with just the offer of traffic data!