PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - India Pilot Recruitment:Overseas Indian Citizen
Old 29th Sep 2006, 09:59
alexb757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PNY
I really appreciate the excellent information above from all. I am not current, furloughed after 9-11, and have been non-aviation employment in Singapore ever since.
I am just not a happy person unless I can go and fly for a living again. That is why I asked. Thank you.
No problem in asking. That's what a message board is for!
Not sure that it will help, but I have had a number of set backs in my career (multiple layoffs and only one company I have previously worked for still exists!) and still managed to defy the odds.
About 10 years ago, I managed to get a flying position even though I had not flown for 4 YEARS!! It all depends on timing, determination and networking and of course, being in the right place at the right time.
It IS possible to overcome all these adversities but it does on a large extent depend on you and your support team ie. family and friends.
Iunderstand that Air India and others may be hiring pilots - including ex-pats within the next few months. Almost certainly you will require some experience and probably currency. That's life. They will always prefer to go with those who are typed and current. When they have exhausted that supply, then, they may consider others.
You may have a chance but be prepared to answer why you have not been flying for the past x years. Sometimes this is seen (by them) as a sign of dedication, sometimes not. If you have not flown for a considerable time, you have to be able to answer the question "why should we hire you when we have lots of other current candiadtes?"
Goodluck!