PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you know if someone's been upgraded? Do you....
Old 20th Nov 2001, 04:44
Bluehair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing as we're talking about upgrades I just have to share a story one of fellow crew told me a few weeks back that happened to her last year.

Flight to New York, still on stand, packed to the gills and the last few are putting their stuff away when a rather 'posh' looking lady in her 50s calls over my friend (we'll call her Mary ).

Mary asks if there is anything she can help with whereupon the lady starts pointing at her seat and saying 'it's entirely unsuitable for a lady of my stature'. There's absolutely nothing actually wrong and Mary finds it impossible to get a reason from the pax other than 'seat me somewhere befitting my class!' (I kid you not!).

After a few minutes the lady finally turns to the gent who was sitting beside her and exclaims 'Frankly I refuse to sit beside that' pointing to the gent (who happened to be of african descent). When asked to elaborate on the problem everything from 'the smell' to 'unable to speak the language' was thrown at Mary all the while the lady was going on 'Do I have to spell it out for you? I should be upgraded!'. The poor guy was visably mortified

Mary finally says she'll consult the senior on board, and returns a moment later. Now you really have to picture the next bit to get the full effect.

Mary to Lady: "I'm sorry for keeping you waiting madam and I apologise for the seating difficulty you are experiencing and of course we have arranged something that should address all your concerns. Now under normal circumstances we don't upgrade but (short pause then turns to the gentleman) Sir would you mind following me up to First Class!"

The lady was gobsmacked and there was even a short round of applause from surrounding pax who had heard it all happening! She didn't say a word the entire flight