PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Night VFR Takeoff safety brief
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2006, 21:42
Howard Hughes
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pass-A-Frozo
Totally disagree.. brief yourself and say it allowed. Turn the intercom off or say it quietly but do it all the same.
As a very experienced pilot once told me.. Treat every successful takeoff as an abort / EFATO that didn't happen.
I agree totally with Frozo! A plan you don't say aloud, is one you probably won't stick to in an emergency.

As the hardest type of rejected take-off is one at or about decision speed/point, a wise CP (sadly no longer with us) also taught me during the take off roll to say to myself, "don't go, don't go, don't go, don't go, don't go" prior to your decision point, then at the decision point a firm "GO", from then on you will continue as planned, at that point you take your hand off the throttle and retract the gear (if you have retractable gear).

This is something I still use today, of course the point has been replaced by a speed (V1), but the actions are still basically the same.

Cheers, HH.