PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Warming: Electric/Hydrogen airplanes feasable?
Old 28th Sep 2006, 20:55
TSR22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, Hi Guys!
I am as guilty as the rest of you for tootling around and polluting our upper atmosphere but I have to say, I am one of those people that would really like to see a green solution to our problems. Trouble is, even if we did manage to find a workable solution such as hydrogen/electric cells (very unlikely - how on earth would they provide the necessary range/power/thrust?) - we often only end up shifting the burden to another source. Hydrogen requires energy to produce it - this will probably come from a non renewable source - fossil fuel.
Rainboe - with the greatest of respect, denial is a dangerous activity . When the planet has cycled its atmosphere and climate, it took (in most cases - not all), thousands or millions of years. We have seen the largest and fastest changes in pollutant levels caused by human activity and it is unlikely that in the short term (within the lifespans of possibly hundreds of generations) the planet would be able to respond. Sitting down and doing nothing is not an option, because if we do - we will be sitting in some very deep water in the next couple of decades. The changes that are happening now are profound and will be long lasting and far reaching. Lets hope that a solution can be found, and fast. Three cheers for Mr Branson

Last edited by TSR22; 28th Sep 2006 at 20:57. Reason: incorrect spelling of rainboe!