PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2006, 17:37
cyclicoyibo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost "fresh fish"

Tokubo.
I feel that I must take issue with some of the points that you raise. I can't accept that PH should be classed as a "crowded environment". Early impressions are that it would be classed as busy rather than crowded when compared to such areas as Greater London or New York. We don't have to contend with a large number of virtually uncontrolled light aircraft for instance. Although there are undoubtedly problems arising from the somewhat erratic ATC system it would seem to me that the greatest hazard that we face is the indiscipline (particularly radio) and the poor airmanship of our own pilots. The practice of "listening out" before transmitting would appear to be a lost art, similarly, the recognition of one's own callsign would seem to have gone the same way. This leads to a large, unneccessary increase in radio traffic.
I have also noticed that the age of the aircraft flown and the standard of the GPS installed makes very little difference to the spacial awareness of pilots. While the 212 is an old aircraft, I have noticed that they seem to be flying at the right heights to the right reporting points. Maybe it's that they have more time to think about it all!
The problems of Bristow seem to be entirely of their own making, although a (small) number of pilots are crossing the road to CHC, the majority of those going are leaving Nigeria altogether. It seems that the risks for some outweigh the attractions of both Bristow and CHC. Also, although the traffic is one-way at the moment, I understand that the direction would be largely reversed should Bristow elect to go to six and six. (Watch this space)
As for CHC, they appear to be in a much stronger position with recruitment at the moment. I do wonder though, with the influx of new pilots, do they have the training infrastructure to cope? Particularly for line-training.
The solution to most of the problems that we encounter in PH as pilots are within our own hands to solve. If we all looked a little more at our own personal performance, airmanship and discipline we would find that we all had a safer environment in which to operate. I do agree with you about TCAS though, criminal in this day and age not to have it!