PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scrap the RAF
Thread: Scrap the RAF
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2006, 14:09
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Mutley, but the Townsville Blackhawk accident wouldn't have happened (and a lot of good men wouldn't have died) if the junior officer had been in a position to safely say 'No' to the senior officer without putting his career under threat. I've been in the position myself on more than one occasion as a Flying Officer or Flt Lt where I had to tell a Major or a Colonel that I couldn't do what he was demanding because it was unsafe.

I've also spent considerable time defending my ground crews from silly bloody WO's and Majors who wanted them parading around in full uniform with spit shined boots while sweating their arses off working on aircraft in the open in tropical conditions.

The same WOs and Majors couldn't seem to get their heads around the fact that these ground crew should have some 'down' time during the day because they worked sometimes until midnight servicing the aircraft when the aircraft had been out operating all day during 'normal' working hours. They wanted them to be see to be 'usefully' employed at all times between 0750 and 1700.

I'd be very interested to hear any comments from a current junior Army Aviation officer how he handles similar situations.