PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EMB145 Pilot? Offered EJ TRSS? Said no? How many?
Old 28th Sep 2006, 13:57
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the risk of upsetting the fine chaps who fly the Emb 145 and of repeating comments I have made previously, this is simply supply and demand. There are literally hundreds of candidates for easyJet sat on our database right now. They are all qualified airline pilots and many of them are willing to sign up to TRSS. I understand that you may not like it, but as long as there are people who are willing to sign up to it then TRSS will continue.

As you would expect on an anonymous forum, there is no shortage of closet revolutionaries who wish to radically transform the way airlines do business. They are entitled to that view, but they should be under no illusion that whilst they rant forth, many others are quietly filling in the online application form. I personally do not think that the TRSS deal is that bad - but that is only my personal opinion. I would urge caution to those 'light jet' guys who feel their noses are put out of joint by what is being demanded - it is not that bad a deal and you should not cut off your nose to spite your face. It is indeed true that we require 450 pilots next year, but again you need some sense of perspective - there are over 4000 unemployed but qualified frozen ATPLs in Spain alone. No doubt there are many others here too but I do not know the specific figures. There is indeed a shortage of 'suitable' pilots - but what that means is type-rated guys with 500 hrs+ on type. There is no shortage whatsoever of qualified ATPLs and that situation is not likely to change any time soon.

This rush for pilots will not last for ever and when the bulge goes down so will those Boeing and Airbus opportunities. As any pilot who has been around a long time will tell you, in times of famine people with Boeing and Airbus ratings are where its at. This business is basically a game of 'Musical Chairs' and right now the music is playing very loudly - just remember that the plan is to be on the strongest chair when the music stops! As one who once applied for an Emb 145 and never even got an interview I know that it is a great machine. Nonetheless, it is not a Boeing or an Airbus! The bottom line, however, is that you need to get that Boeing or Airbus rating, and sat there with your feathers ruffled over TRSS could lead you to make some bad decisions that are ultimately not in your best interests.