PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM AIRPORT - 2
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2006, 12:40
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Roy
Looking at the start dates, the MME route does not result from the addition of any new aircraft. Rather, it will be operated with an existing aircraft, and an existing route will see a reduction from mid-February.
How bad!
Personally speaking, I think you can look at this two ways, firstly any new route is a good route in the current circumstances & a sort of "sunshine route" at that. ...However I would be much more inclined to take a more cynical view, that RYR are to a certain extent attempting to "muddy the waters" at MME in the short term insofar as rival Loco's moving in based aircraft.
It is noticeable that the 3x weekly GIR service commences 12 Feb 06 well in advance of the 26? or so other destinations.........why ?, a 3 x weekly route is probably an absolute minimum for such an operation to become viable.
I feel that this move places a nice little obstacle in the way of other operators, it gives RYR a foothold to "put up" or "shut up" & at the same time obtain some very valuable marketing data when comparing performance with the 4 weekly offering up the road. On this, a further comment, it is probably a make or break issue with RYR, as a failure to impress against performance on the NCL-GIR route will hardly bode well, given that the latter is also up against an established EZY BCN route