PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Met Office fog warnings
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2006, 10:39
Dizzee Rascal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowclimber
It's a foggy day here, so in the absence of traffic, two relevant questions...

1. Around 80% of our fog warnings from the Met Office come AFTER we report fog. (There's something mind-numbing about reporting 500m in FG and then, twenty minutes later, getting a fax saying 'fog may affect your airfield today...'). Is it just our unpredictable weather, or do other units find the same thing?

2. Do other units get their Met Office weather warnings (fog, frost, ice, strong wind etc.) by fax too? Why do they use fax when all other Met Office stuff (regionals, TAFs, METARs etc) comes on the AFTN?

SC

I was reporting VCTS the other day, (there weren’t any Weather Warnings issued), subsequently the VCTS became present weather, 30 minutes later a Thunderstorm Warning came through on the Fax after the thunderstorms had ceased!

I blame it on the man at the Met Office who wears a suit and sandels!

We pay to have the weather warnings to be sent via Fax so we (as the customer) have obviously asked for them, when I was at the Met Office earlier this year, we was told that if an organisation wants a certain product and pay for it accordingly, they will supply it (providing it's Met related )