PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Longranger thought
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2006, 10:02
Ascend Charlie

Received 228 Likes on 104 Posts
In a Huey in the 70s, the blades didn't want to stop. Groundie says "I'll fix it, sir!" and before I realised what he was doing, he scrambled up the side steps and reached for the blade above him. Well, grabbing it at 1/3 of the blade's length wasn't ever going to give him much of a moment to stop it, and I gasped as I saw his legs disappear past the right door and past the right overhead window. This turned to laughter when i saw his face looking down with horror through the left overhead window. He was smart enough to let go the blade before it pulled him off the roof.

Also watched a new bograt standing out the front with the tie-down, waiting for the right time to reach up and grab the almost-stopped blade - there is a certain amount of momentum in a Huey blade. As the blade spun down, I called out (jokingly - it was way too fast!!) "This one, Marron!" and he leapt off the ground and grabbed it.... Well, I have never laughed so hard, tears running down my face. He grabbed the blade, feet off the ground, and he turned a beautiful cartwheel in mid-air and landed on his @rse in the dust. Wonderful to watch, I think he is a Qantas captain now.