PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nurse fury at Ryanair as woman dies on flight from Italy
Old 28th Sep 2006, 09:28
Seat1APlease

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Alibaba we are not talking about the same "basic equipment here".
What many are referring to is little more than a piece of plastic with a hole in it so that the mouth can be covered and the first aider can blow air in without making direct contact.
What I would consider minimum kit is what we used to call a "salad" airway. That is a piece of plastic about the thickness of a hose pipe and about five inches long and shaped like the letter "S". It is slipped over the tongue into the back of the throat to stop it blocking the airway and has a flange which seals agains the mouth, and then a small plastic "football" is attached to it. This ball can then be squeezed to pump cabin air or oxygen from a cylinder into the lungs without the necessity of a nurse blowing for 40 minutes. They come in a very small box, weigh next to nothing and cost a few pounds.
Now that portable automatic defbrillators are available I think you could argue the case that their carriage is justified, even over Europe, because whilst you might be able to get the patient on the ground in 15 minutes or so, that is stilll too long if the heart is not beating or in spasm, if you can shock it back into sinus rhythm then the chances of survival are much better. Yes it is costs money including the training costs, but I believe the passenger would accept the cost if properly explained. They already have to pay a "wheelchair levy", the extra cost would be peanuts.