PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wall Street Journal reports on BA 747 3 engine LAX-MAN flight
Old 28th Sep 2006, 06:25
Kengineer-130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still sounds very dubious to me in my humble opinion, any signs of fire should be treated with the upmost of urgency and respect- Just because there is no flight-deck indication of fire does NOT mean there is no fire- its not unheard of for a fire indication to flash briefly then dissapear almost instantly as the detecting system is destroyed ... Sorry but in my eyes it was a downright irresponsible decision to "press on", had they lost another engine, especially on the same wing,(again, not unheard of...) halfway across the atlantic then they would have been in big, big trouble have we not learnt from years of bitter experience and thousands of deaths, that aviation accidents happen due to a "chain of events"? All I can see is a crew failing to break that chain due to pressure to complete the flight, which ultimatly ended up in a Mayday situation, which in its self tells you all you need to know about the event..

suspected fire?? get it on the floor and argue about it afterwards