PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incorrect Lift Theory
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2006, 23:59
mingalababya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillieBob
There are many ways of explaining why an aeroplane flies and no one 'theory' is superior to any other - they are all no more than 'theories', after all.
Theories can be proven by mathematical calculations and it has been found mathematically that the equal transit theory for lift does not hold. That's what the NASA website set out to prove; their java lift simulator available at that site indicates that, yes, there is an increase in the velocity of air flow over the top of the aerofoil, and a slowing down of the airflow beneath the aerofoil, and yes, this does result in a lowering of air pressure over the aerofoil compared with beneath .. BUT, the pressure differential is too low to generate the amount of lift that you'd expect from such an aerofoil.

Therefore, Newtons third law of action and reaction is the better theory mathematically and it also better explains how symmetical aerofoils such as the horizontal and vertical stabilizers work as well.

I've just done my first brief on the theory of lift and have presented both theories for the audience to think about. I don't want to be pushing the equal transit theory even if it's partially correct.

Thanks all for your input on the discussion here ... it's all very interesting.