PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Federation (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2006, 18:42
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
GB2, I respect and understand your views entirely, and for that matter everyone else who calls for a Federation. I think we are, understandably perhaps, concerned with different problems here.
You guys are being messed around by a seemingly dysfunctional Chain of Command and need some order back in your lives, You see your best bet to achieve that in BAFF. I would have my reservations as to what BAFF might achieve and, from my experience in the outside world, feel that representation can be a two edged sword. But hey, it's your call, and I can only wish all of you, and with all sincerity, the best of luck.
My concern as a BOF is that same dysfunctional CoC, and the adverse effects it has had, is having, and will continue to have on the RAF. If it is not urgently reformed, I see nothing but trouble ahead. I know that everyone will strive to maintain standards in the best traditions of the service. But the nagging effect on morale as the most basic administrative functions like housing, pay, etc are seen by local commanders as the equivalent of "Not my job,mate" will be profound. This cat's cradle, woven over the years no doubt by myriad consultants, has got to be unpicked, and power returned to local commanders.
The only real commanders that ever existed in the RAF were really at unit/squadron/station level. Above this they are really functionaries in a pyramid with CAS at the top. Lots of policy to implement, but little else to do except claw their way up an ever narrowing career path. So the CoC that counts is at the base of the pyramid, and that is what has to be revitalised. Can you guys at the base effect this? No, it has to be from the top down, ie a CHANGE OF POLICY, all the way down from CAS. Why should he be bothered, seeing as you guys will carry on doing your best? Because it is not about you per se, it is about the future of the RAF. It's broke, so fix it CAS! Rant ends!