PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nurse fury at Ryanair as woman dies on flight from Italy
Old 27th Sep 2006, 15:51
grimmrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face standards can be different

Originally Posted by RogerIrrelevant69
Unlike ocean going passenger liners, aircraft are not obliged to carry a doctor or any other medical staff. They are obliged to carry minimum medical equipment as specified by the aviation authority (the IAA for Ryanair) that oversees their operation. Ryanair no doubt meet this obligation as do every other airline under the IAA jurisdiction.
A few years ago I witnessed a woman suffer a near fatal illness on a flight from Dublin to Chicago on an Aer Lingus A330. The cabin crew adopted the headless chicken routine while the lady beside me (who was a nurse) rushed to assist. Not much she could do except keep the old dear who was down breathing and comfortable. The captain diverted to Quebec to get emergency medical attention.
Later on when the nurse returned to her seat, she complained to me that the medical equipment on board was totally inadequate and the cabin crew were completely useless.
I really don't see a stick to beat Ryanair with this recent story. The blame, if there is any, lies elsewhere.
As I mentioned above a few years ago I was involved in an in-flight emergency with a young guy en-route on BA to LHR from BOS. Equipment was very good (2 large boxes with medications, syringes, tubes, gloves etc.) as was the cabin crew, assisted very profesionally and calmly. So it can be done differently - and shouldn't it be the best equipment if the health of your paying customers is concerened - as with the flying equipment? Or shouldn't you at least know WHERE the kit is? Of course the nurse wouldn't know, its the responsibility of the crew! So, if as it seems the ac had the kit on board, why was the crew unable to deliver it in an obvious emergency situation? That seems to be the main question here, is it not?