PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help ! Public Speaking !
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2006, 12:11
Wader2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristopherRobin
9. Invoke the spirit of Troy McClure in your introduction...."Ladies and Gentlemen good afternoon, I'm Stafford McClure and today I'm going to talk with you about...."
There is a technique to avoid this bit and that is if you are introduced:

"Ladies and Gentlemen good afternoon, let me introudce Stafford McClure who is going to talk with you about . . . " Followed by cringe making applause.

Clearly if that was your opening line you will need to have a different starter. "Thank you for . . ." Those few kind words or Inviting me here today etc.

If you want to ensure that you are introduced then give your introducer the words for the introduction:

""Ladies and Gentlemen good afternoon, let me introudce Stafford McClure who has been a member of the Supply Branch for many years and who is going to talk about . . . "

Personally I like to be introduced as the audience often knows the introducer and will pay attention when he approaches the podium or whatever.

One other thing, get there early and either arrange the stage or whatever to suit you. Or learn how to use the stage. Maker sure you can be seen. Make sure you are not hidden behind a lecturn or standing in front of a screen if you have a presentation. Look up and look at your audience when you speak. If you need to look at your screen, then look, point, and then turn back to face the audience before you carry on speaking. Get a glass of water; great for a pause and thought gathering.

Do not drink alcohol before hand. Go to the toilet before hand. Make sure you have a clean hankerchief. Empty your pockets. No toys - keys - remote controls - etc.