PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A challenge ~ for those who are not technically challenged.
Old 27th Sep 2006, 09:52
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ
IMHO, the Interleaving is the best one (so far) for larger transport craft.
I can see this. Since for large rotor assemblies the limiting factor is the size of gearbox required to get high engine powers into very low RRPM. Doubling up (or quadrupling) the rotors is the best way to keep the total gearbox mass sensible - it is again a necessary compromise. Worth noting that the MI-26 has as much air flow through the gearbox as each engine. This suggests the rotor diameter must be on the limit of design for a large transport aircraft, but then again it can lift 20 tonnes...

Originally Posted by DJ
.... this web page ... considers the rotor-rotor aerodynamics of an Intermeshing disk. This page is specifically directed at a very light electric helicopter...
Looks interleaving to me - this is where i do get bothered. We are agreed that interleavers are suited to very large transport aircraft. All of the interleavers you concept layout on your site show one or two crewmen, so are only about the size of an R22 or R44. A very light electric helicopter is not a large transport aircraft...

Mart

Last edited by Graviman; 27th Sep 2006 at 15:02.