PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Uniform - What do you think?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2006, 09:50
doubledolphins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danger

Why do all Air Force officers wear flying suits in ops rooms (some times deep underground) for NATO exercises.Even if they are not, and never have been, aircrew? I mean, if I wore my submariners roll neck you would think I was mad.
Ps. Our gloves are also ,brown so you got them from the RNAS too. There was a whole thread about that. Other bits of RNAS include the rank of Flight Lieutenant and the rank stripe system. You used to have gold stripes on your day No 1s as well as mess kit (Recently re introduced by your Band Masters.)
Your officers Cap Badge is very much like the RNAS one. Eagle replacing the RN fouled anchor. I believe your officers buttons are like RNAS ones.Your sword just replaces our lions head with an eagle's. Of course your black tie came from the RNAS. The style of uniform came from the army as did your shoes and boots. Ours do not have toe caps. lastly, going back to the original pic, your salute came from the army because unlike sailors, airmen never get their hands dirty! (As did the outrageous custom of sitting down wearing a cap behind a desk to deliver an interview with or with out coffee.)