PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hello and Advice for a New PPL Trainee......
Old 27th Sep 2006, 07:37
Darth_Bovine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the (often expensive but massively fun) club!

As many have said, you can spread your flying training out over a year (or more) if required. I did it that way and found that I picked up things reasonably quickly, yet didn't upset my bank manager. As many have said before me: there's no rush! You'll be flying just the same whether you're P1 or PUT.

Regarding the hours building: hours building is only really required if you want to get an ATPL... so if you're not mad keen to head down that route then I wouldn't put yourself under pressure to add hours onto your license. I like to try to fly about once every 4 weeks or so. This way I keep current and don't need to spend too much. Others might advise more/less frequency after qualifying. It's all down to the individual really. I probably spend about £1500 to £1700 a year on flying. At least that's what I think... I'm too afraid to go and count up for sure!

After qualifying, find yourself a flying buddy and head off on small trips to other airfields until you build up your confidence. If you fly a leg each, you'll get effectively get twice the experience for the same cost as flying on you're own. Of course you'll not be able to log the time your mate is flying but unless you're sleeping, you'll pick up wee bits of experience.
Have fun with the course and congratulations on taking the step to start! Many people talk about it but always make an excuse and end up never doing it.

-DB.

PS: re taxiing (or taxiying or whatever the current preferred spelling is)
This is my least fav bit of flying. I still enjoy the challenge but for me it's just the bit before and after taking to the wing really. It is definitely an art form which you'll find comes after a while. Keep at it! After a while you'll forget about the "steering wheel" altogether and have your instructor bellowing about into wind ailerons!

Last edited by Darth_Bovine; 27th Sep 2006 at 07:45. Reason: forgot to add