PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ living
Thread: NZ living
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2006, 07:31
Oktas8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
er1cw,

Hi, and hope you find out what you need to know.

I see you're from Singapore, and with that in mind, I'd like to disagree with some of the other posts. It's not that they are wrong, it's just that what you think about some aspects of NZ life depends on where you come from.

Compared to many big cities, including Singapore, public transport in NZ is really bad. What exists is clean and safe, but there is not much of it! Most Singaporean students I've met buy cars while here. A reliable car, recent model but not new, will cost about $10,000.

As far as I know, Massey is the only place in NZ to do a B.Av. But there are lots of other flying schools that offer Diploma level qualifications, and many are of equal (many people say better) quality.

But what do you want to do? As far as I know, Massey is the only school officially recognised by Singapore Airlines, and they do put more Singaporean nationals through training than most other schools. On the other hand, if you want to live and work in NZ for many years, you should definitely look at other flying schools to see which is best for you. As others have said, a B.Av will not help you at all to get a General Aviation job.

Hope this helps,
O8