PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nurse fury at Ryanair as woman dies on flight from Italy
Old 26th Sep 2006, 19:23
air pig

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
How about impounding some of MOLs aircraft in the UK under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 sections 2 & 3 in that ryr have not provided for the health safety and welfare of their staff and those not in their employ ie passengers. The use of barrier protection is seen as best practice when performing CPR.

Long haul flights do provide defibrillators under the control of the flight crew and having seen a demonstration by a Virgin Atlantic team, their skills left a few professional medical staff in awe, me one of them. There are many airlines do have a telemedicine facility to obtain advice and indemnity insurance when their advice is followed.

Training and repeated training can only do some much, the first cardiac arrest that you attend always leaves a lasting impression, and if you fail, as high percentage do, you always have a feeling could I or we as a team, have done more ?? having been to many cardiac arrests you still have that feeling.

Congratulations to the nurses and doctor who stepped forward, many today would have had second or even third thoughts about doing so!!

The number of in flights deaths per annum is remarkably low considering the diversity of passengers flown each day. My fear is that a passenger has a tropical disease in the incubation phase and goes on a long haul flight, transiting a couple of main hubs, the senario does not bear thinking about. This did happen a couple of years ago in Berlin fortunately it was only Yellow Fever.

Last edited by air pig; 26th Sep 2006 at 19:45.