PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 26th Sep 2006, 17:16
PITA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is your point Muttley?

I will agree with BYLAW. Because you can cut and paste as well as anyone else here on this thread, or for that matter on PPrune, just what exactly are you trying to say?

Do you really think that the training here at EK is above average, or for that matter superior to something that can be found anywhere else?

I will disagree with you on that one.

The style and execution of the training here is what was done by the rest of the modern industry in the 60's and 70's and found lacking then, so replaced.

Even the cabin crew training has evolved to teaching in the 21st century, why cannot the Flight training dept also evolve with the times?

Is there such a blame culture here, that there always has to be someone held accountable, and the finger points toward the end user (poor slob who thinks he here to be trained and not checked) and not toward the real problem of a training department, that in and among themselves have no real experience in the process of actually being able to TEACH!

Where do the teachers get their knowledge and experience from?

In other established companies, it takes more than a year to make an instructor who actually knows what they are doing, and just not how to read what is in the FOM, and spit it back at you.

I realize that Emirates is growing as fast as it can, but that is no reason to skimp on giving the line pilots the best possible INSTRUCTION and I will say that again, INSTRUCTION that can be given.

I do not work for the training dept, but they should DAM*N well work for me.

Now after ranting on as I have, there are some very fine individuals, who go out of their way to actually do a fine job . These gentlemen come prepared and enjoy what they are doing.
I will not paint the entire training dept with the same wide brush.
But it really is time for some internal policing, and time to change the culture of a training dept that checks and grades you on what a book says and then will not show you how to actually do the job required.

I challenge the training dept to actually train.

Anyone can sit at the console of the simulator and throw problem after problem at a student. It takes a REAL teacher to show where they went wrong,and put it in a way that they can learn something positive, and not walk away after the session shaking their heads wondering why the F**K am I even bothering.