PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 26th Sep 2006, 13:33
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flip,
I believe the US are retrofitting OBIGGS 2 to C17s. Obiggs 2 produces a positive pressure. I am not sure what the J is getting. One would hope OBIGGS 2.........I also understand A400M will get a 2nd gen system. Though the Govt remains tight lipped on this program.

"In a recent contract from Boeing, Hamilton Sundstrand Aerospace Power Systems (HSAPS) was selected to design, develop and produce the boost compressor and valves, and also undertake system integration testing, for the next-generation onboard inerting-gas generation system (OBIGGS) for USAF C-17 Globemaster III heavy-lift transports. With a combined total of over $40 million, the development and production program covers 139 new and retrofit aircraft, with a potential for another 83 C-17s in the future. Inerting-gas systems are generally used on military aircraft to increase fuel-tank safety, due to the potential for high concentrations of volatile vapor in the fuel tanks as they are depleted. An inert gas such as nitrogen is then pumped into the fuel tank to replace the volatile mixture. HSAPS president David Hess said that next-generation OBIGGS operator benefits included eliminating bottle storage requirements. The company has already supplied many accessories and systems for the C-17, worth more than $1.5 million per aircraft."