PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nurse fury at Ryanair as woman dies on flight from Italy
Old 26th Sep 2006, 12:12
df1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neither the mask/shield nor the gloves in debate here would improve a persons chances of survival or improve the quality of their treatment - I think that we all agree.

The Red Cross first aid advice is that gloves are considered as the "basic materials" and the mask as a "useful edition" in a first aid kit. Without argument then neither are vital to life saving.

They do however form part of a kit which ought to be readily available and low in cost (excluding defrib etc) in any commercial workplace especially one which accomodates a fare-paying public. All staff, particularly any nominated first-aiders, should know where the kit is located and how to access it. Putting one of these kits together isn't brain surgery and neither is checking its inventory.

As I read it, the nurse thought these elementary yet important items. she takes issue with not having or being able to access a basic set of eqiupment - including equipment to protect herself from injury or infection.

Really, this is not at all about what equipment helps or doesn't help save lives - what saves lives is a proper approach to dealing with emergencies and Ryanair, it seems, sails close to the wind. It is absolutely about the reputation of an airline that digs itself deeper and deeper into a hole that it is reluctant to climb out of. Maybe, though, when the average cost of a decent first aid kit is more than the average price of the ticket it might be worth pax reconsidering who they fly with. Next time we might not be debating rubber gloves but something more sinister! I sincerely hope not!

Last edited by df1; 26th Sep 2006 at 12:26. Reason: can't spell