PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NON UK PASSPORT HOLDERS SHOULD GO!
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2001, 17:14
Loony_Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well lots of differing opinions on this one!!

Regarding the non-UK/non-EU pilot thing, I think that the main problem is that the playing field is not exactly level.

For example I know from my own experiences that trying to get a job in another country is practically impossible, despite the fact that from a "legal" point of view I hold all the relevant minimum qualifications to fly an airliner anywhere in the EU. The language of flying is English and if you do move to another country you'll be semi-fluent in the native language within a few months if you make an effort to learn it.
Most countries in the EU actually give their residents a good grounding in a few languages and I havent met many foreigners that aren't fluent in at least 2 languages.. how many Brits can say that?
I used to teach english in Romania and my 12 year old students had a knowledge of French and English that vastly surpassed that of A-Level students in the UK.

The other point is that the UK seems to be one of the few countries that is not protectionist. I'm sure the reason that I cant get employment abroad (recent events notwithstanding) is that I am simply not a native of that country and they'd rather employ a native than me. I dont have a problem with that, I simply want the same level of protection for myself in my own country

All airline pilots and crew should be able to speak good english anyway so communication on the job wont be a problem

It gets very frustrating to see scores of low hour Dutch/French/German etc etc pilots flying for UK airlines when I know that I simply wouldnt be able to get employed by one of their airlines.

I will never object to non-UK/non-EU people working here if they have married someone British ir if they have a right to residency based on their Parents/Grandparents being British etc etc.

However I do believe there is no justification at all for having Non-EU people working here when there are plenty of our own that can do the same job just as well.

I dont consider myself xenophobic or anti-foreigner in trying to give myself an equal and fair shot at getting a job.. My girlfriend is Dutch and I have American, Cypriot, Romanian, Polish, French, German, Australian and Asian friends so I certainly cant be accused of being xenophobic!!!

Ok I've probably waffled enough.. apolgies if you fell asleep!

Any thoughts or replies appreciated

Loony