PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 26th Sep 2006, 09:17
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is great news Nige.

Just a tech question, though - Other than foam taking up a small percentage of the tank capacity/reducing range, is there any tactical advantage of OBIGGS over foam (or vice versa)?

I would have thought that a possible disadvantage of OBIGGS-type systems is that, once the tank is ruptured by the first bullet/shrapnel, then out goes the nitrogen from the ullage and now you don't have any fire suppressant for the subsequent bullets etc! However, one could argue that if the tank is ruptured, you have less risk of an explosion anyway - not sure about that, though? On the other hand, if foam is installed, the suppressant is unaffected by multiple hits (and bullets dont often arrive on their own)!

Anyone from a position of knowledge care to comment?

Flipster

ps Are foam Js now going to have external tanks fitted? There was talk about that once if I recall - because of the reduced fuel load of the J along with the shorter crew-duty day making things difficult for the longer sectors. I would think that foam would exacerbate this? Nonetheless, I have not heard one J pilot/ALM saying that they would rather have a bit extra fuel instead of fire suppressant foam!