PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulence penetration - light vs heavy aircraft.
Old 26th Sep 2006, 08:26
chornedsnorkack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris-AP263
Just trying to get my head around some of the factors that influence the effects of turbulence on different aircraft.
For example, if asked the question which aircraft would you prefer to fly through a mature CB in -
1) Large transport aircraft (737...) DLL=2.5g
or
2) Light utility aircraft / aero (warrior etc) DLL=4.4g / 6g
Looking at the two aircraft side by side and faced with a large black towering CB I would be tempted to say the large aircraft, it certainly looks stronger! However in terms of g-loading it is not, it cannot withstand as much g before it breaks! There must be other factors such as effect of weight on g-increment, wing loading etc..
Any thoughts ?
Thanks
I suppose that it would be an issue of wing loading multiplied by g-loading. After all, if you have a light aircraft with a low wing loading, you keep it in air, +1 g lift, by flying at a low IAS stall speed. Large transport aircraft tend to have higher wing loading and stall speed. But entering the same turbulence, they are going to encounter the same windspeed. So, the strength of wing would be expressed by the product of wing loading (+1 g load) and g tolerance (the ultimate load).

Also, I suspect that aircraft with low L/D ratio would be more resistant to turbulence - if they hit an updraught, the wing would stall before it breaks.