PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2006, 07:36
Mad Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mad_bear
I'd be very happy to fly something like this, if I could fit in it, and still have room for an intructor and fuel. But with a maximum load of about 30st (if I understand correctly), I'd be looking for an instructor in the 8st region, or very frequent fuel stops, I think. I know I can't fit in a Cessna 152, and my understanding is that most microlight aircraft are smaller than that. Or am I misunderstanding something? I'd be very happy to be misunderstanding, because this is the (only) kind of flying I could probably afford on a long-term basis.
If in doubt... ask the people who know!!! Ring Old Sarum flying club on 01722 322525 and ask them the weight, fuel & size issues of the C42 - then you'd know for sure.

I've only been in it once and was told that if I had both myself and my partner (combined about 23 stone) we could carry a full fuel load which would give us a range of 1000km with no problem.
The instructor who was flying it was a good 6ft + and he still had room above his head. I don't know if the seats are adjustable but I know I would have needed at least a 4 inch thick cushion behind me to bring me close enough to get my feet on the rudders but I'm only a short ar e.

The other nice thing about it is that it can fly with a SEP(A) licenced instructor so you're not limited to purely microlight instructors.

I don't think any club would object to pairing you up with their lightest instructor....and there are 8 -9 stone instructors around - we've got a couple of "littlens" at my club.

Get back up there as soon as possible - you know you want to!!!

PS Lots of deep breaths and try not to let your performance matter so much - it works!! Says she...still trying to do this herself!!!!

Last edited by Mad Girl; 26th Sep 2006 at 07:40. Reason: Adding to the PS