PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parachute Dropping
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2006, 07:12
Canada Goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horgy - I've also found the search tool doesn't pull stuff up, even when a thread is current and you know the buzz words are there !! Anyway, in answer to your query, yes you can para drop on a PPL, but obvioulsy not for reward, i.e. payment. That said, most PPL's have a lot of experience and also an IMC rating (which is required where I drop). Where I drop the main reason for this is that for high drops from 10,000' we need to enter Class A airspace, and for a 2 mile radius around the DZ we have an arrangement with ATC whereby pilots with IMC's can operate in this band of airspace. As you may be aware, you need an instrument rating to enter Class A, but this is a special situation. The second reason why you would want an IMC is that you are often climbing/descending through clag. Also, if you are less than 250 TT you need 10 hours of training on the jump a/c and between 250 and 500 I think 5 hours of training. After that, its just a checkout ! If you want all this from the horses mouth contact the BPA.

Cheers,
CG.